Sometimes she went and sometimes she played
I thought if I got her interested in going to the potty that she would just do it!! I made a big deal when she "pee peed" on the potty; sometimes I danced around like a fool and was glad no one could see me! Well, getting her interested in the potty didn't prove to be what "worked" for her.
Next I tried reading to her on the potty. . .she didn't care. I tried bribing her with candy and soda and presents. . .still nothing worked. So, I gave up for a while. Brynn came a long and I didn't have the time to invest in potty training, but I was bummed because she was over 2 and I wanted her potty trained before Brynn was born. Oh well, life goes on.
In the summer I tried the naked thing - letting her be naked all the time. This failed too - she went potty wherever she was standing!! I was so frustrated. Everyone kept telling me I needed to find her "thing" and I couldn't find it!!! Buying underpants didn't work, coffee didn't work, markers, paints, play doh. . .NOTHING. I have come to realize that Avery can do almost anything SHE wants to do! I just needed to wait until she wanted to do it!
Now she is almost 3 and finally wearing underpants except while she is sleeping and she has only had a few accidents. Avery knows that her going on the potty makes me happy and that when she has to go - we GO! So at night she is starting a new stall tactic. . .I take her to bed and lay with her while we say prays and then she tells me that she has to go potty!! (Mind you I just asked her before we got into her room). The first two nights she told me that she had to poop! She went the first night, but not the second night. I tried to address her heart the best way I knew how, while still encouraging her to go potty when she needed too! Night three of this charade she simply told me that she had to go potty. I took my place on the floor in the bathroom while she went potty. Then she said "mommy, I love your eyes" "mommy I like your hair" "mommy I your jammas". . .She liked or loved every part of me! She may have been stalling, but in that moment she melted my heart with her sweet little heart!
I am learning that in teaching my children I often learn something too!!
1 comment:
Wouldn't trade those moments - even if they are when they are "stalling tactics".
Post a Comment